Thursday, January 19, 2012

Tell Me Thursday 2012 - #3

Crooks and Crazies

Time for Tell Me Thursday, hosted by yours truly!

Questions for this week:

1. What is one lesson you've learned this week?
2. Who or what might you have been in another life? What might you be in a next life?
3. What unusual things do you like the smell of but don't usually admit?
4. What are your thoughts on continuing on vs. retiring when a trial run is going badly? How do you decide? Where do you draw the line?
5. This is a call for questions or subjects you'd like to talk about - I'd appreciate suggestions (and please come link up so that I'll be sure to see your post), so here's your chance!

As always, don't forget to post a link to my blog, and the button in your post... and then come back and link up!

Here are my answers. I know you've been waiting for it, right? All week? What I've told you lately about blind dates and dogs with pecker problems. Hah.

1. What is one lesson you've learned this week?

Here is my lesson for the day boys and girls. If you have an old boy dog that assumes the position to pee...

Wait for it...

DO NOT PICK HIM UP.

Picking up a peeing old boy dog in mind-stream results in a far bigger mess than if you'd just have let him make his little piddle puddle. Picking him up results in a shower of tiny dog pee pee that goes everywhere. Now instead of soaking up a puddle you must run around and blog up droplets of piddle all over the place.

Trust me... just let him make his puddle.

2. Who or what might you have been in another life? What might you be in a next life?

I mean for this to be a question to have fun and creative with (though I am a creationist). Anyway, I'm pretty sure I was Jerry Seinfeld in another life. He's one funny guy and I so totally identify with his brand of humor. I might have also been a lioness. Rawr. I loves me some big scary female cats. Sometimes I think I might have been born in the wrong era... or maybe I was a homesteader in another life.

For my next life, if this past week has been any indication, I'm in terrible danger of coming back as a Krispy Kreme donut. Or maybe an Oscar Mayer wiener truck. You know, cuz if I were an Oscar Mayer Wiener... everyone would be in love with me.



3. What unusual things do you like the smell of but don't usually admit?

I love to sniff peanut butter jars (inside, obviously). I like the smell of sharpies. Oh, and that paste they give you in kindergarten. I also love the smell of cigarettes the moment they're first lit (and no, I don't smoke and never have). I also love the smell of beer, even though I don't drink it. Yes, I'm strange sometimes.

4. What are your thoughts on continuing on vs. retiring when a trial run is going badly? How do you decide? Where do you draw the line?

This is a real tough one for me. I tend to retire too soon sometimes with my young dogs because I don't want them out there floundering for help and losing confidence (or worse making huge messes and damaging someone else's sheep or property). But sometimes I feel like I should have stuck it out longer. Then again sometimes I sit at a trial watching a run and I mutter, "leave the post leave the post OMG WHY DON'T YOU LEAVE THE POST AND HELP YOUR DOG."

I think this changes some with the Open runs - I've stayed at the post even when things weren't going the best (though certainly not total disasters), thinking that when most of the runs are sucking maybe mine will be of the lesser suckies.

It's a tough call to make. I'm not sure I'm very good at making the call yet. It is so hard to know the answer when you're the one running the dog. I hope that time and experience will help me to be better at this.

I tend to err on the side of retiring too soon, and going to help my dog.

I don't have to answer #5 cuz... uh... I'm asking all of YOU to give me some ideas. It can be any questions or any subjects you want or like to talk about.

So here's the code and linky widget:




16 comments:

Mr.Apple said...

Laura,

It's funny that you mentioned Jerry Seinfeld because after reading your previous post the "Blind Date Story", I am now beginning to think that you need to have your own television show..... something in the same vein as the old Seinfeld TV show.

A guy that cries on his first date because his date had some crates in her vehicle. I know that it probably wasn't funny to you at the time but it does kind of sound like something that you would see in an old Seinfeld epsisode.

Mmmm let's see..... "Crooks and Crazies", staring Laura Carson coming this fall to NBC.

Kelly said...

I was full of questions today but not so full of answers!

Unknown said...

Done! Now off to gather more wood!

Laura Carson said...

Mr. Apple, that's pretty funny. Julie P and I have joked several times that my life seems to be a lot like a Seinfeld episode. I've said maybe I'd write a book... and call it "The Book About Nothing".

My stoires are usually far more amusing in person - a lot gets missed in the translation when I try to write. ;) On the upside for you all, when I write you get to miss out on the parts where I get too tickled to talk.

Jaenne' said...

I'm going to try and come up with some questions...if I come up with any, I'll shoot you an email...I'm liking the questions that other posted have listed!

Doniene said...

Another great episode of TMT!! Thanks! Actually the book needs to include ALL the chicken stories! I think Mr. Apple is right! A tv series in the making!!

Have a great day!

Unknown said...

Man, missed it by THAT much! AH well, it still totally counts because I *started* the post before midnight.

Also, on cigarettes (I do smoke), sometimes when I light up, I get that first lit scent (and taste) and it hits me with some big nostalgia of the days so long ago, before I smoked as much for the addiction part as anything else.

Kelsey said...

Got it done with 12 minutes to go! Thanks for the interesting questions each week; I like the idea of other people coming up with some too!

Laura Carson said...

Doniene, I think I could do a book of just chicken stories alone. LOL!

Here's a question for you guys - what do you think about theme weeks? In other words, five (or however many) questions that all relate to each other?

I tend to be a bit random and like mixing different questions together, but I may do some theme weeks.

Ferreh Hiatt said...

Day late and a dollar short, but Done!

Unknown said...

Hey Laura,
I like the idea of theme weeks. Can we have a chicken theme week? lol!

Laura Carson said...

Julie, you may be sorry you asked that. bwahahahaha

Actually, giving me license to do theme weeks is really on the edge of scary.

livin life said...

I forgot to sign in as doing my homework assignment.....gosh can you tell I have used that excuse before! I did one questions....the weather is getting to me a little. I think I should go cougar dancing with you!

Bonnie said...

I don't know if you see replies on my blog since it's live journal, I thought I would post a reply to your question here:) My son moved out and took his Jacks with him and I missed them almost more than I missed him. Even though I begged him, he wouldn't send them back so I found one that needed a home. So, 16 month old Noodle came to live with me, The Beep and Poppet. Things are now as they should be... a giant party:) I don't see how people live with just Border Collies alone. They're kinda boring. Here's the movie... Noodles gone wild. http://youtu.be/wNl95eB7oCo

Bonnie over at live journal

Ann said...

Laura, I posted this on FB and on my work FB page: Who would play your dog in the movie of his/her life? Funny stuff!

Steffi said...

Whoohoooo - I posted before the linky thing expired this time :) Okay, I must say I have always been pretty obsessed with the wiener mobile!! I grew up in WI and got a little wiener mobile whistle when I went to a Brewer's game and wore that thing around my neck forever! And then when I lived in Madison the wiener mobile was always parked near my apartment. Pretty much the coolest form of transportation EVER!