Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Pia on Sheep - 8 months

I gave Pia a whirl on sheep over the weekend at Robin's. She was feeling a tad bit sensitive, but after the sheepsplosion naughty dog rodeo at Thanksgiving she needed to feel a little more sensitive. I like her responsiveness, and figure that in another month or two she'll settle into a place that will be just right for me. I think she and I will do just fine together. She's still not ready for much training pressure, but she is getting there. She is trying very hard to figure out what I want.

I really would prefer to just post vids where my dogs and I all look like rockstars, but I've promised myself to be real and post the good, the bad, and even the fat hiney-ed.

Saturday:



Sunday:



I'll give her a while before I work her again as I find the explode the sheep but be mushy to corrections phase difficult to manage. I've made mistakes in the past by trying to power through these phases, when waiting it out would have made sense. Maturity heals a lot of things.

Videos by Robin French.

9 comments:

Laura Carson said...

Hey, thanks! That's very kind of you. :) She seems to be going through a sensitive in general phase. This morning I fussed at Ginger for something and she ran and hid (not her normal MO).

I sure do like her. A lot. :) I love her too, but you all know what I mean.

Kristi said...

I think she looks lovely! What a flashy lass!

Dancing shepherdess said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laura Carson said...

The sheep were certainly not helping - though had she been right they would have turned (and a couple of times she was, and a couple of times they did). She seems to be going through a bit of a fear period in general. BUT, she could, indeed, be coming into heat, or about to. The boys don't think she is yet, but seem to be paying her just the tiniest bit more interest.

Robin French said...

Kelpie and collie- i have to disagree. While knee knockers might be better for the person in the ring, these kind of sheep are way better for the dog as they give the dog something to do and when the dog is right, she knows it because the sheep act right. These particular sheep are pretty broke actually.

Doniene said...

Finished my morning chores, got a cup of coffee and sat down to watch the videos!! Great - pups are such great fun! I agree, maturity covers a multitude of problems!!! Some friends of ours came over unexpectedly on Saturday (she has a nursery dog qualified for Natl Cattle Dog Finals) and we worked dogs all afternoon. Liesl and Mike had a GREAT!!!! work!!! Tate and I were good - we gathered, moved around etc. Bess was good - I learned some things for the next stage, and she is really listening and even downing on stock now. No fear - willing to get around and heads well. Needs to learn some rate, but doing well!! (didn't get pics, though) and then there is Pete. Had him out on the drag line, just getting him use to be around other dogs. We were sitting and watching Mike and Liesl work and he saw the sheep and away he went - the line slipped through my hands - and well... It wasn't a wreck - he went around and gathered and bunched the sheep (we were in a twenty acre trap), kinda split the herd a little and Liesl went on a big outrun and headed them just right!! So all in all not a wreck, but a great learning experience!! (sorry about the long comment!! lol)
Loved watching the video and learned a bunch - thanks for sharing!! Have a great week!

Mamarazzi said...

oh my goodness your furbabies are adorable. and SMART!!

Dancing shepherdess said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robin French said...

she needed to hold herself off more instead of turning the sheep on an arc. she couldn't get to balance because she wasn't getting to balance (i know that sounds weird but think about it) - she was pushing in too soon.